Re: Is mysql a RDBMS ?

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_pandora.be>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:05:11 GMT

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> In general, yes, you are formally right, SQL is not quite The Best
> Relational Model Representative. But, everybody on this group is aware of
> that, and some may find that reiterating the same old arguments is just
> annoying.

Hear, hear.

Was there already a discussion about XQuery? I wouldn't be suprised if in three or four years time we will be teaching our students no more SQL but only XQuery. It will be standardized, a lot of research is currently being done on optimizing it and it will be widely supported by commercial DBMSs and non-commercial ones alike. But if you think SQL is too complicated, well, ...

But let's look on the bright side. At least XQuery is faithfull to the XML data model, so we won't have all these fruitless discussions about whether databases are really XML databases or just XQuery databases. ;-) Although some strange stuff is already going on with the definition of "native XML databases".

  • Jan Hidders