Re: SQL help requested - "linked list"

From: Mia <nospam_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:33:02 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> As I recall, the Oracle syntax for expressing recursion uses a CONNECT BY
> clause.

Yes, the CONNECT BY clause lets me do this sort of query.

> Au contraire. If you want to get the IDs that come before or to get the IDs
> that come after a particular ID, you care only about order.

Huh?. As I said before, I don't care about the order.

> What, if not implicit order, does the juxtaposition of ID and NEXTID
> provide?

One of them gives me the ID that precede the entry point; the other gives me the ones that follow.

> One must ask: What does this implicit order mean? How does it arise in the
> first place? If a human puts the rows into some order, upon what information
> does the human base the decisions? Can one represent this information
> directly?

I did not design the data model; I'm just trying to do some queries against it. For my requirements, the order is completely irrelevant.

Thanks,

-Mia Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 21:33:02 CEST

Original text of this message