Re: Is mysql a RDBMS ?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:57:09 -0700

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:fyt2b.662$FT7.79814719_at_mantis.golden.net...
> However, it is an awful lot of trouble to go to for a feature that is
> neither necessary nor desirable. Don't you agree?

I don't know. I would certainly be on your side if relational theory would comprise all the math, not predicate calculus only. For example, how would you represent multivariate polynomial

3*x*y^2+5*x^3

relationally?

Difference between pure Relational and SQL are well known and in my opinion are negligeble compared to huge gaps in relational theory. The examples of (still) open research topics include view updates, transitive closure, optimization, multidimensional methods and constraint databases, etc, etc. "Pure" relational language is not going to solve those by "magic". I would think reiterating SQL and Relational diferences over and over again is just counter productive. Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 20:57:09 CEST

Original text of this message