Re: Is mysql a RDBMS ?

From: Daniel Guntermann <guntermann_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 04:35:50 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:Vj52b.593$q25.72766566_at_mantis.golden.net...
> "Heikki Tuuri" <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com> wrote in message
> > Morten,
> >
> > "Morten Gulbrandsen" <Morten.Gulbrandsen_at_rwth-aachen.de> kirjoitti
> viestiss?
> > > Hello,

[...]

> > > From Elmasri:
> > >
> > > To qualify as a genuine relational DBMS,
> > > a system must have at least the following properties:
> > >
> > > 1.) It must store data as relations such that each column is
> > > independently identified by its column name and the ordering of rows
> > > is immaterial.
> >
> > This holds for MySQL.

> Are you saying that the following works with MySQL?
>

> select somecharfield name, someintfield id
> from sometable
> union
> select anotherintfield id, anothercharfield name
> from someothertable
> ;

A small nitpick, but technically the definition by Elmasri and Navathe uses "store date" as part their definition. You are demonstrating an SQL expression as a means of contradiction. Trivial, I know, but still their definition holds until you at least find another example that would indicate a base table doesn't meet the criteria given.

Regards,

Dan Guntermann Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 06:35:50 CEST

Original text of this message