DB Design problem!!

From: alex <alessandro.toaiari_at_address.it>
Date: 21 Aug 2003 07:29:54 -0700

Hallo
i have a design problem

I must to create a db structure that manage questionaries.

Every questionary have a variable number of attributes. Every attributes may be boolean or string or integer.

I need to maintain a questionary list and a attributes list to know what i have in the db.

The questionaries are linked whit an ID to a person.In the db there is a lot of table like a datawarehouse and
the questionaries are only a part of the whole

After i must develop an app that manage the lifecycle of the questionaries.

SO the db id dynamic and i don't know how to represent the questionaries.

If i create a table for every questionary i don'thave a RI between the questionary\attributes list and the relative phisical object.

If i create db structure with a repository for the definition of the questionaries and the attributes i have
a sinlge table (calles ATTRIBUTES_TABLE) like this:

IDQUESTIONARY
IDATTRIBUTE
VAL but the meaning of VAL fields depend from the questionary and the attribute.

It's a problem like the catalog table of the RDBMS. Noone solution is really relational.

Have you any suggest?

thanks

Alex Received on Thu Aug 21 2003 - 16:29:54 CEST

Original text of this message