Re: Single Photon Data Types

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:22:20 -0700

"Dave Ulmer" <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net> wrote:

>Lets look at the data provided by a single photon:
>
>The photon has Energy or Intensity data
>The photon has Frequency or Color data
>The photon has Direction_in_Space (x,y,z) data
>The photon has Polarization data
>
>That's four data types. Did I miss any?
>
>Now what data types does a rock exhibit?

I trust this isn't the general usage of the term, data type.

What you are referring to are metrics. The metrics for a rock are fairly obvious to anyone who ever collected rocks as a kid. If someone sold gemstones, cut or not, there'd be other scales. And some things can be only qualitative, such as a perceived beauty for a museum quality sample. You can measure or idiosyncratically grade anything about various rocks that you like. I'm sure in databases of jewelers and online rocks-for-sale websites, they do just that.

I don't intend that to be any startling revelation, btw. Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 10:22:20 CEST

Original text of this message