Web application and database.

From: Bob Bedford <bedford1_at_YouKnowWhatToDohotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:02:42 +0200

Hello,

I've been using ASP and Access for little web applications (mainly for managing passwords access to web pages) and I've never really planned to go further.

Now, I'll start a huge project, and I need a really good planning and study about possibilities. I will create a "shopping" database, with ~50 tables from wich 20 will have around 1'000'000 records when running at the best (also it's always a growing database).

The web site must support around 5000 connection a day, with an amount of 1500 at the maximum load in the day.
Every article request will return around 400 articles, with description coming from 5-6 tables.

Now, I've heard on Postgresql, that should support very well such datas. For the price I'll do in my sites, I must keep price very low, but I prefeer raising a little bit the price for the database than having poor performances.

Also, don't know if I'll do in on ASP, PHP, java....always for performances.

Any advice would greately be appreciated ! Received on Sun Aug 03 2003 - 14:02:42 CEST

Original text of this message