An Understanding Database Theory

From: Dave Ulmer <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 05:11:21 -0700

Greetings,

Some 20 years ago I designed a computer database I called ISSU for Intelligent System Specification Unit. Unfortunately it was complex and would have required hundreds of programmers to implement. At the time it needed constructs like XML to be developed and as such never got off the ground. ISSU was designed to be the single core database for a corporation.

Developing ISSU led me to a more in depth study of Intelligent Systems from microbes all the way to mega corporations. I eventually called my study The Science of Intelligent Systems. Here I noticed how corporations could differentiate between marketing data and sales data much like a microbe could differentiate between waste data and food data. I did a lot of work figuring out how this data was converted and stored as knowledge that could then be understood by the system. Along the way I developed a language to describe different aspects of intelligent systems.

More recently I began studying the data itself and how it came into being in the first place. Since intelligent systems process data almost continuously I began looking at the different types of data that they process. Starting with the four fundamental elements of the Universe; Mass, Energy, Space, and Time I rather unprofessionally figured out that there may in fact be only 16 fundamental data types. Unfortunately my mathematical abilities do not allow me to come up with a formal proof of these 16 data types. I wish I could get some help here. At this point I call my study of the universe of data, Data Science, or Data Physics.

One of the core separations in the structure of an Intelligent System is noticing the difference between Knowledge and Understanding. The simple difference is that understanding always requires energy whereas knowledge storage does not. This led me to a language of Knowledge Directors and Understanding Effectors and showed that when understanding takes place data is changed or created. Intelligent systems both use and create data in our Universe.

Sorry, this is too long. Anyway, I have never met another person on this planet that has ever studied any of the stuff that I am studying.

Can you link me to anyone who has?

Sincerely,

Dave. Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 14:11:21 CEST

Original text of this message