Re: Single Photon Data Types

From: Dave Ulmer <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:24:29 -0700

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:XdcWa.1504$ff3.272719914_at_mantis.golden.net...

> Given that Dave uses the word 'understanding' in such a way as to exclude
> Archimedes' "Eureka" moment and to include a pseudorandom number
generator,

You can't get new science out of a dictionary! Language many times limits how one can describe new ideas. A pseudorandom number generator 'understands' how to produce its numbers. It requires energy and a specific procedure to produce these numbers. To an outside observer it is impossible to precisely determine what type of understanding engine is producing the random numbers. It could be a computer or a human or something else generating the numbers.

> I have no doubt that we use all words differently. I use the english
meaning
> of english words, and Dave makes up his own meanings.

I extend the meaning of many words to cover new technology as many engineers do. I realize that it makes people uncomfortable when their old definitions are extended. At least I explained how I extended the definition of understanding.

Dave... Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 18:24:29 CEST

Original text of this message