Re: Fundamental Data Types?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:56:02 -0400

"Dave Ulmer" <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net> wrote in message news:bg95r8$mhacl$1_at_ID-186663.news.uni-berlin.de...

> "Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dave Ulmer" <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote in message

> > > An understanding is a process or operation that creates new data or
has
> an
> > > effect on data.
> >
> > insert into cranks (name, group, last_posted)
> > values ('dave', 'comp.databases.theory', '30-JUL-03')
>
> dimwit...

Dave,

Mikito has demonstrated to this newsgroup on many occasions that he is anything but a dimwit. You have yet to do anything comparable.

You may not like what Mikito has to say and you may not like how he says it. Dismissing what he has to say as unintelligent or uninformed only deprives you of an opportunity to learn.

Now, I don't know what you intend to accomplish by participating here, but apparently learning is not any part of your intent. First, you have not met the minimum requirements of preparedness to learn database theory. Second, you reject opportunities to learn when presented. If you intend to teach, your intention reveals an astounding conceit.

By your definition above, a pseudorandom number generator is an understanding because it is a process that creates new data, an electromagnetic pulse is an understanding because it affects data, and the moment of Archimedes' sudden bathing insight was not an understanding because the information was not yet suitable for machine processing.

Thus far, I tend to agree with Mikito's appraisal. Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 01:56:02 CEST

Original text of this message