Re: Fundamental Data Types?

From: Dave Ulmer <daveulmer_at_ccwebster.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:19:23 -0700

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:bg905h$h64$1_at_gazette.almaden.ibm.com...

> Talk about SI Units instead. http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Our Universe of Data knows nothing about SI units and neither does a frog, yet a frog processes many different types of data and has evolved its own set of specialized data processors.

> The "physics of data"? Well I vote for this kind of stuff:
>
> http://asklepia.org/chaosophy/chaosophy21.html
> "According to his (Ed Fredkin's) theory of digital physics,
information is more
> fundamental than matter and energy. He believes that atoms, electrons,
and quarks
> consist ultimately of bits--binary units of information..."

The guy doesn't even know what Information is for it is a type of Knowledge used to transport or communicate knowledge between systems.

> > All living things process many different types of data that our universe
> > presents.
>
> That's certainly one intuition behind the idea of (data) types.
>
> > The question is what are all these different types of data?
> >

> My question would be, do the SI units make a good basis for a formal set
of data
> types of the kind we would like to see in some standard set of types for
use in
> databases and other formal systems?

I think there is certainly a relationship with SI units here but I don't see that they are any more than just a name for an observed phenomenon. I mean that our Universe is made up of only four things, Mass, Energy, Space, and Time. From these four things must be derived all possible data types. So where is the fundamental derivations?

Dave... Received on Wed Jul 30 2003 - 20:19:23 CEST

Original text of this message