Re: Internet Business Logic

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:38:59 -0400

"Adrian Walker" <adrianw_at_snet.net> wrote in message news:96372229.0307050718.5886218c_at_posting.google.com...
> We are seeking comments please about a service and system called
> Internet Business Logic. Experimental use of the system is free.
>
> The system supports the writing and running of applications in the
> form of business rules (which one can think of as generalized Use
> Cases), written in English, French, German, etc. The author- and
> user-interface is an ordinary Web browser.

Adrian,

While I am all for making things more declarative and accessible to non-expert users, the samples you gave on your website do not look like the english spoken or written by human beings. Every attempt to allow users to program in "english" has made things more difficult and not easier--just look at COBOL or ABAP. What makes you think IBL will be any different?

I suggest that computing requires formalism (at some level), and humans will understand the system better if the system exposes that formalism directly.

> When an application is run, the system can optionally automatically
> generate and run SQL queries and transactions over Oracle and other
> networked databases.
>
> The system generates explanations of results, on demand, as
> hypertexted English.
>
> One can get an explanation, before a transaction is committed, of what
> will be done and why.
>
> The system is based on about twenty years of mathematical and software
> engineering research, some of which is published in refereed journals
> and conferences.
>
> To run the system, please point Netscape 7 or Mozilla to
>
> www.reengineeringllc.com
>
> You will see links to a presentation, tutorials, and so on. Then,
> click on
>
> Internet Business Logic
>
> then on the GO button to enter a demo .
>
> The demo includes examples in business case preparation, database
> mining, billing, database security, and financial applications.
>
> There is also a simple example called NetworkedSQL1 that shows how the
> system works with a SQL DBMS.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments. -- Adrian Walker

I did not have the patience to wait 10 hours for a new browser to download over my dialup connection, so please forgive me if I only looked at the samples etc. without running the demo. Received on Sat Jul 05 2003 - 18:38:59 CEST

Original text of this message