Re: domains aren't subtypes, right?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:05:57 -0700

"Nuno Souto" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:73e20c6c.0305271642.3be46ac9_at_posting.google.com...
> Having said that (*joke lights off*), you got a good point
> about the varchar rigmarole in Oracle. About time they
> fixed it properly instead of inventing side-track "solutions".
> Long overdue. It's not hard for them to just make one super-type
> and sub-type if needed. As is, it's confusing. And I'm being
> very generous.

Surprisingly, they have a single Date datatype. And a single Number datatype. What a blessing!

Until recently. Clearly, they gave up to MS pressure, as the latter has native numbers and, therefore, better performance. Now, we are going to see Numeric Casts all over the place! I don't know who influenced polluting their datatype system with yet another timestamp type. ANSI SQL?

In short: having more datatypes is not an answer. Having better datatypes is the answer. Received on Wed May 28 2003 - 03:05:57 CEST

Original text of this message