Re: Table design problem

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:52:32 GMT

Mike Sherrill <MSherrill_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:11:48 +0000 (UTC), "Roy Hann"
><rhann_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, our names happen to
>>correspond with the terms used by the business and give us a common language
>>for communicating with the users. There is no value in changing the names
>>to solve a problem we don't have.
>
>Given that, to you, "customers" doesn't mean "a party who has bought
>or ordered something from another party", I'd be fascinated to hear
>your definition. I'm serious; many of us (database designers, not
>necessarily database theorists) collect odd little things like that
>for our own education.

     In a practical sense, it could mean a party that is eligible to buy or order something from another party. Party A submits a credit application to Party B. It is approved by Party B. Party B might add Party A's data to a Customers table beofre Party A has ordered or bought anything. Party B may refer to Party A as a customer.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: