Re: Auto increment

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 12 May 2003 17:48:02 -0700

>> .. what if the database had a 'key engine' that could be programmed
to generate meaningful or meaningless keys according to specific business rules? <<

I will another "Hear! Hear!" to that.

>> Of course this would imply procedural extensions for
business-context-sensitive key generation. <<

Why not as part of a "business rules engine" that sits at a hihger level outside the RDBMS, wher it can look at the entire schema instead of just one table at a time? We really need to move in that direction ... Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 02:48:02 CEST

Original text of this message