Re: How to express SQL3/OLAP analysis functions by ORACLE9iR2 DML ?

From: Nigel Pendse <nigelp_at_nospam.compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:40:12 +0100

It's a different, but not a brand new, language. It's evolved from the old Express 4GL, latterly renamed as the Express SPL. That has its origins in about 1970, when Express (which has become the Analytic Workspace) was first available, years before Oracle or SQL even existed. It provides much more powerful multidimensional analysis than anything you can do with SQL extensions -- which is why Oracle has ported Express to become the 9i OLAP Option Analytic Workspace.

It's proven and works, but has nothing to do with SQL, though of course, Oracle now claims it's all part of SQL. The people most likely to know it are the old Express implementation consultants. They were a thriving community in the mid 1980s through to the mid 1990s, but have been declining since then. But some still post in this newsgroup, and remain loyal to the technology that has provided them a livelihood for so many years.

"Jack Dull" <jack_dull_at_sina.com> wrote in message news:b9id8g$271o$1_at_mail.cn99.com...
> Hi, Bob Badour,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> In the context of SQL enviornment, DML is refer to as update,
insert and
> delete actions. But 'ORACLE9.2 OLAP DML' is a brand new language for
> multidimensional analysis. It is only used in 'Analysis Workspace'.
>
> Jack dull
>

> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > "firegoddess" <dr_zhhl_at_sina.com> wrote in message
> > > hi, all:
> > >
> > > SQL3/OLAP have introduced many powerful analysis functions
for OLAP,
> > > such as Ranking, windowing aggregate, LAG/LEAD and etc. Now,
they are
> > > supported by ORACLE9iR2 data warehouses. Meanwhile ORACLE
developed
> > another
> > > multidimensional query language DML for ORACLE9iR2
multidimensional
> > analysis
> > > engine 'analysis workspace'. I am not familiar with DML. My
questions is
> > > that whether the functionality provided by SQL3/OLAP is
supported by DML
> > in
> > > the way of multdimensional paradigm or not? Especially
'windowing
> > > aggregate'. and How ?
> >
> > Usually, DML, ie. data manipulation language, refers to those
parts of SQL
> > that allow one to manipulate data: UPDATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE.
Those