Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 May 2003 12:18:30 -0700

> > You don't see the parallel between a db representing things
> > and a brain representing things?
>
> What you propose (as it seems to me, anyway) is to reveal the
> incomprehensible mess of neurons and axons directly to us.
> This is supposed to help us how?

Yes, behind what looks like an "incomprehensible mess of neurons and axons" to you, looks to me to be the implemenation of a more flexible data representation system.

> If you find that the design of the brain provides you with ideas for how you
> would like to *implement* a DBMS, fine, but using this implementation as
> the data model can only lead to a very complex system with little or no
> benefits.

You haven't yet realized that the reason the brain is more flexible is because it uses a simpler, not a more complex, data model!

> Consciousness is an abstraction implemented on the hardware of the brain,

Ok.

> you want to bypass the abstraction and go straight to implementation,

No, I observe the flexible capabilites of the brain to represent things,
and find that the current relational data model does not provide such level of flexibility, so I search for a better or improved relational data model. Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 14:18:30 CDT