Re: Alternatives to ACID, non-serialized concurrent transactions?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:04:32 +0100

"Paul G. Brown" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:57da7b56.0305061042.e3027c6_at_posting.google.com...
> "Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message n
> > BTW has anyone got a good link to info about this "logical concurrency
> > control" ? A quick google was not too productive.
>
> Look for 'predicate locking'.
>
> For a giggle about why its not been commercially applied, try:
>
> google('predicate locking terrifies')

Thanks for the links Paul. I'd read that SQL reunion doc a while ago but doubt I would have remembered the predicate locking quote.

I will say that just because it frightened a few folks who had a lot to do with inventing the transaction concept (as practiced by SQL) back in the mid seventies, does not mean that it is a worthless concept today...

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 11:04:32 CDT