Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2003 19:26:50 -0700

> > My personal definition of a binary relation is
> > 'Two things that have something in common'.
>
> Offering your personal (re-)definition of basic concepts in mathematics is a
> counter-productive response.

It is mathematics that has inaccurately redefined the meaning of the word relation, not I. The word was find used to mean "person related by blood or marriage". Now does this sound like "two things that have something in common" or does this sound like "a set of ordered pairs" or "the subset of AxB".

It does not matter much who defined it or when they defined it. What matters most is that the definition is accurate for the concept. Received on Mon May 05 2003 - 04:26:50 CEST

Original text of this message