Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 01:39:41 GMT

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b45d3ad.0305041612.7e5f5cb0_at_posting.google.com...
> > > Just as in pure set theory, I want the flexibility that the elements
> > > can be anything.
> >
> > Sure; the model totally allows this.
>
> I guess, I should say, I want an implementation that allows it, but
> you are right, it is not the fault of the model.

Fair enough.

There are DBMSs out there that allow you to create your own types. I believe PostgreSQL has this capability. I haven't used it myself, but I thought I'd mention it in case you're interested.

Oh, and there's also FirstSQL, which lets you put Java objects in the db without getting into the whole "object/relational" like of hooey. Very cool.

http://firstsql.com/

http://www.postgresql.org/

Marshall

PS. Some folks consider this feature an essential required feature, which makes it ironic that so few databases actually support it. Received on Mon May 05 2003 - 03:39:41 CEST

Original text of this message