Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2003 15:24:28 -0700

> A relation of degree n over the sets A1, A2, ..., An
> is simply any subset of the cartesian product A1xA2...xAn.

Ok, I can accept a well defined operation called cartesian product.

> For a binary relation the notation is usually R <included in> AxB
> where we call A the domain of R and B the codomain of R. So we say R is
> a binary relation from A to B. When A and B (the domain and codomain
> coincide) we call that a *binary relation over A*. So a binary relation
> R over A is simply a subset of the cartesian product AxA.

Your explanation and the three sited below from text books DO NOT accurately describe the fundamental form of a binary relation.

  1. A binary relation on A is a subset of (AxA).
  2. A set R is a binary relation if all elements of R are ordered pairs.
  3. Let A and B be sets. A binary relation from A to B is a subset of AxB.

These definitions involve multiple binary relations, but do not clearly define a binary relation. The fundamental form of a binary relation is two things that have something in common. Received on Mon May 05 2003 - 00:24:28 CEST

Original text of this message