Re: newbie: using id's or total desciption

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:32:34 +0100

In message <b8bplp$u0a$1_at_news.tu-darmstadt.de>, Mirko Koenig <koenig_at_v-i-t.de> writes

>> I think you should have already have asked the users what they want.
>> It's their decision. When you have agreed the specifications for the
>> system you can start coding.
>
>Is it legitimately if i make my statistics by id and point this out in
>the docu. So i tell the users that if they change a customers data they
>should have in mind that the statistics all can be wrong from than on.

No, that's not good enough. If changing the data would introduce errors then you have to prevent the data from being changed. Part of the process of designing reliable systems is to predict what can go wrong and prevent it from happening. You should also consider the possibility that someone might deliberately alter invoice data to cover up a crime. You must make that impossible too.

>I can't ask the users what they want because i have no;-)
>I'm making this thing to provide an alternativ to the big accounting/sales
>software on the market.

OK. If you want to take over a market from other people you still need to talk to the users. You need to find out what features they like and which ones they dislike.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti