Re: Expanded Oracle DBA Site

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 21:13:24 -0700

pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com (Geomancer) wrote in message news:<cf90fb89.0304231324.7b2667c3_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I am amazed that people can be so stupid.
>
> Me too.
>
> When a writer works for a publisher, they no longer have ANY claim to
> the material. Besides, as an Oracle employee, Howard J. Rogers should
> not have been so rude and condescending.

According to copyright law only works made for hire are subject to your interpretation, and I wasn't aware that Oracle Corporation had become a publishing house. Howard did NOT write this document 'for hire', and, thus, the copyright is his. Oracle Corporation exercises control over how and where this document may be distributed as it concerns their software products.

> It is the deceit and arrogance that bothers me.

Yes, Jeff Hunter is deceitful and arrogant, made even more clear in his most recent post. I've yet to witness Howard exhibiting either behaviour.

> Howard J. Rogers could have sent a private e-mail, but he chose to
> post a "it sucks" thread on six large newsgroups instead. Remember,
> Hoard J. Rogers did this smear knowing that he was not entitled to
> place his copyright.

Again, you err. Howard had every right to issue such a complaint. To call it a 'smear' indicates false accusation and libel; Howard is guilty of neither. Jeff Hunter, on the other hand, has clearly attributed 'quotations' to Howard that came not from his pen nor keyboard and has done so in a derrogatory manner. That IS, plainly and simply, libel.

> Also, Howard J. Rogers all but admitted in the other thread that he
> created Lydian Third solely to thwart Oracle Corporations claim of
> ownership over their material:

Howard made absolutely NO such claim, and if you can find such in his writing I wish you would prove it by issuing COMPLETE quotations.

> This quote by Howard J. Rogers is pretty clear:
>
> "Depressed though I am at recent events, such comments have persuaded
> me that it is worthwhile to keep going . . . The site that was taken
> down was my fifth. "Lydian Third" is a musical term. My trusty OED
> tells me that it is "the mode represented by the natural diatonic
> scale F-F."

The complete post, as it was written by Howard:

  • Not sure what you are driving at, but I can guess. *
  • The site that was taken down was my fifth. *
  • "Lydian Third" is a musical term. My trusty OED tells me that it is "the
  • mode represented by the natural diatonic scale F-F." What that has to do
  • with Oracle, I have no idea... except that it was a Greek mode or some such,
  • and the Oracle was in Greece. *
  • I can assure you that I value my mortgage payment ability rather more than I
  • value the maintenance of a web site. *
  • I have emailed the person concerned, too. *
  • HJR
Amazing that you could miss the REST of the information provided by Howard regarding Lydian Third. But, I imagine that when one is faced with defending an incorrect and misguided position any technique to bolster one's erroneous contentions is 'fair game', whether it be completely accurate or not.

> Given the above, and the fact that Howard J. Rogers wrote that
> www.hjrdba.com was the fifth site he had taken down, I would have a
> really hard time believing that Howard J. Rogers does not have
> anything to do with Lydian Third.

It is truly amazing what a feeble mind will conjure when quotations are taken severely out of context. Read the ENTIRE thread and you'll see differently:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-&safe=off&th=7a7858d10c1df023&rnum=3

Most especially the post by Grace Kutamundra, who admits to creating Lydian Third and posting the material:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&th=7a7858d10c1df023&seekm=3CD8F2FC.3E2D8217%40mytoys.de#link71

Of course, you didn't read that far into the thread, so your obvious "conclusion jumping" is expected.

> Granted, the fellow should not willy-nilly reproduce web pages, but
> that does not give Howard the right to publicly humiliate them,
> especially as an Oracle Corporation employee and author.

There was no 'public humiliation' at the hands of Howard J. Rogers; Jeff Hunter clearly posted his 'new and improved' website in THIS forum, and clearly stated it included rather thorough information on the new features of Oracle 9i. What he FAILED to mention was the undisputed fact that Howard J. Rogers authored the 9i new features material. And he failed to contact Howard upon procuring this document to request permission to publish it on his website. That is theft of intellectual property, giving Howard EVERY right to post, in the same forum, his displeasure at finding his work on a site he knew nothing about and his request for said document to be removed.

> Frankly, I think that there are no "clean hands" on either side of
> this dispute.

There are, and they belong to Howard J. Rogers.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Apr 26 2003 - 06:13:24 CEST

Original text of this message