Re: How to cope with missing values - NULLS?

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:54:51 -0700

Peter Koch Larsen wrote:
> How to cope with missing values - NULLS?
> The to me fundamental problem is how to cope with missing values. I
> agree that You have no need for them in base tables, but what happens
> in the situation where you have an outer join? If outer joins are to
> be provided by the DBMS - and I believe they are to useful to be let
> out - there must be some means of denoting that a field has no value.
> There are three ways to go:
>
> 1) Use a NULLABLE type. This could be an extension like the sum-type
> mentioned (i have not read that thread yet so i can not comment). I
> see no problems with that approach.
> 2) Use a DEFAULT value. This could be feasible in some situations, but
> in many situations it would not. The most obvious example would be if
> the field in question is boolean. Which default could you possible
> use?
> 3) Use a marker that existed independently of the field. This approach
> has so many flaws that I believe it to be infeasible. For one thing,
> what value should we store in that field? If we have ADT's we must be
> careful as the ADT might have some constraints, that if not set will
> invalidate the type - a CIRCLE could as an example be required a
> non-negative radius. Even non-ADT types might have some integrity
> constraints: think about a floating point number stored in the IEEE
> format.
>
> My personal conclusion is that we are stuck with NULLS - if not in the
> SQL sense then at least in the sense that we are to have some kind of
> sum type. And if we are stuck with such a type, then the only sensible
> thing is to have it standardised by the DBMS - how else are we going
> to let the DBMS perform the outer join by itself?
>
> Kind regards
> Peter

I think you are rushing to conclusions.

If we can use sum types for individual columns, we surely can use sum types for tuple types, so here we have your OUTER JOIN without any NULL.

Besides, coming from a relational theory perspective, I'm not sure if we   should regard outer joins as a relation over the sum type of the corresponding tuples (no NULLs involved), or just a collection of relations.

 From an host language API point of view, I'd rather prefer the later.

Another alternative is to regard the tuple type for the outer join as

  col1 * col2 * ... colk * restOfTheJoin

where col1 to colk are the common columns and restOfTheJoin is the outer part of the outer join and has a sum type

        Nothing | col(k+1) * ... coln

Best regards,
Costin Cozianu Received on Fri Apr 18 2003 - 11:54:51 CDT