Re: The BOOLEAN data type

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 17:44:36 -0800

>> But the problems are on nulls, not on the boolean type. <<

If you had a "Chris Date Database" without NULLs, you would not need the 3VL and could build a consistent model. But here in the real world, we are using SQL.

>> SQL is clearly bad founded and the boolean type is the most
fundamental type of all. <<

No, it is more complex to try to model the real world, where you don't have perfect knowledge and attributes can be missing. There are many versions of Geometry -- on a plane, a triangle always has 360 degrees; on the surface of a sphere, a triangle always has more than 360 degrees; on the surface of a hyperbola, a triangle always has less than 360 degrees. The Catholic Church in the Middle Ages was sure that ONLY Euclid was right. This made navigation with a round Earth into heresy. Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 03:44:36 CEST

Original text of this message