Re: sql question - hierarchy

From: Lennart Jonsson <lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 09:48:22 -0800

"LokalST" <stbest001_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<b5ru1f$2bi$1_at_sunce.iskon.hr>...

[...]

> Tnx Lennart but unfortunatelly I'm fighting with Oracle SQL :-( and that
> kind of query is not supported in it.
> But, tnx u anyway.

Well, I wasnt trying to convert you ;-) However, you could try some other alternatives:

  1. Nested set (google for Celko and Nested set).
  2. Store the relation Ancestor in a separate table, and when you add, delete and move people around maintain that table as well.

You might find this article interesting

http://www.dbazine.com/tropashko4.html

HTH
/Lennart Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:48:22 CST