Re: Problems with SELECT *

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:25:08 -0500

"Pablo Sanchez" <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:Xns933E6690CA881pingottpingottbah_at_216.166.71.233...
> "Gianluca Hotz" <> wrote in news:b4skjr$237et0$1@ID-
> > Another thing is that some system, provided there's an index,
> > may "cover" the query fetching densely populated index pages
> > instead of fetching the data pages.
> It's unwise for application solutions to rely on 'piggybacking' off of
> indexes. If you can get away with it, that's great but I wouldn't
> bank on it, it's too fragile of a solution.

He never recommended that applications rely on this. He suggested that writing applications to explicitly request the data they need will sometimes allow this optimization. Using "SELECT *" indiscriminately will generally prohibit it. Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 19:25:08 CET

Original text of this message