Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relational algebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:24:48 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:

>>The context in which this question arose was the analogy that Lauri made
>>between GOTO vs. WHILE and tuple bags vs. tuple sets and the main issue
>>

>was
>

>>whether the analogy is a valid one, esp. w.r.t. query optimization.
>>

>It was a valid analogy of increased abstraction. Perhaps Lauri does not know
>enough about compiler optimization techniques to realize that the specific
>analogy does not offer any optimization advantages, which means the analogy
>may have been a poor one. Then again, I seem to recall that Lauri already
>admitted as much.

What I had in mind was some of the "nice" tricks you can do in PL/I, like

DCL I INTEGER;
DCL L LABEL(10);

LABEL(1) = THIS;
LABEL(2) = THAT;
LABEL(3) = HERE;
LABEL(4) = THERE;

I = MYFUNCTION(5); GOTO LABEL(I); THIS: PUT ('HERE I AM');
RETURN;
THAT: PUT('THERE I AM'); GOTO THIS; etc...

But, I suppose those are just a piece of cake to implement (and optimize?) as I have been kindly instructed...

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 12:24:48 CST