From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 17:41:21 -0500

"Jan Hidders" <> wrote in message
> Lauri Pietarinen wrote:
> >Jan Hidders wrote:
> >>
> >>Well, your specific example involves recognizing that duplicate
> >>elimination is not necessary in the view. That was something that was
> >>researched as (relatively) recently as 1994:
> >>

> >OK, point being that if SQL had not had duplicates from the start the
> >motivation for such research would have been much stronger, and we would
> >have got results sooner.
> Could be, but note that this would then be because you made things
> for the implementors and forced them to think about these issues.

Are you saying that in a choice between "harder requiring more careful thought from dbms implementors" and "harder requiring more careful thought from dbms end-users", you would opt to burden the end-users? I think that burdening the dbms implementors will necessarily improve quality and that burdening end-users will necessarily degrade quality. Received on Sun Mar 09 2003 - 23:41:21 CET

Original text of this message