Re: finding a thesis topic

From: D Guntermann <guntermann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 00:01:52 GMT

How about data access to and homogenous views over heterogeneous data sources, whether relational, hierarchical, network, object-oriented, etc? It seems to me that the greatest problem, at least for larger organizations, is the ability to integrate and access information with some sense of location (and system) independence.

I see middleware solutions for sloshing data through api's and complex interchange mechanisms these days, but the alternative of having integration happen at the data management layer seems to be getting short shrift (unless you think of XML in this regard). Are there new developments with federated database and mediators, multi-database, and true distributed database (true peer-to-peer collaboration) frameworks?

I have also once read that the ODMG ODL and OML definitions were being incorporated to some small extent into the SQL3 standard? Was this a mis-statement, or have there been efforts to extend and merge the two standards? It could be that I read material that was published before the big ORDBMS implementation push, which might have precluded the incorporation of pure object-oriented data definition and manipulation extensions into SQL-1999. These might be interesting topics also.

Dan