From: Steve Kass <skass_at_drew.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:36:54 -0500

Thanks Paul,

  The equivalence class suggestion is mathematically sound, but since it goes in the opposite direction from manageability of physical implementation, I'd try to avoid it. Mathematicians don't mind equivalence classes, represented or not by canonical elements, but implementations may be easiest if they only represent these classes with canonical elements.

  It's looking like practical implementations for many algebras, sets, bags, or even those an imperative language is using when implementing fractions or bigInts of the array-of-digit kind, may involve non-canonical values at some point in the operations. For sets, bags may come up between projection and elimination of duplicates. For bags, non-canonical bag representations may come up in the same situation. For fractions, non-reduced-form representations may come up after arithmetic but before reduction to lowest terms, or with bigints, "digits" greater than 9 before "carrying".

  Some day I should delve into the voluminous literature about this (and about bags in particular), but my first guess is that it is possible to use only canonical representations, and not equivalence classes, at the expense of straightforward implemenations of operations, and there are probably always three routes one could choose from:

Strict: unique representations of elements, and all operations implemented so that no invalid representation occurs, even in the implementation details of an externally compliant atomic operation.

Relaxed: unique representations, but accommodation of noncanonical  equivalence class members inside atomic operations.

Loose: full recognition of equivalence classes, accommodation of arbitrary class representatives.

So my guess as to the answer to your question is that I suspect you can provide a mathematical foundation for any of these approaches.

One does ends up in circles - to represent bags without using bags, one may choose to use bags behind the scene (just as one may choose when representing sets) And there are probably further distinctions between what choice is made for the physical implementation and what choice is made if one wants to specify (as SQL does, for better or for worse) the meaning of an expression as the result of a canonical process described at the subatomic level.

SK