Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relational

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:50:21 -0500

"--CELKO--" <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message news:c0d87ec0.0302211456.3f28a971_at_posting.google.com...
> >> If you cannot identify the cans of tuna, how do you place them on
> the scale? And before you can calculate a count from a weight, you
> must first count identifiable cans then weigh them. <<
>
> You place the on the scale in a bag (pun intended), without ever
> looking at the individual cans <g>.

Fine. But how do you derive the count from the weight if you have never weighed a known number of cans? How do you know the number of cans without counting any? How do you count cans--even one can--if cans are unidentifiable.

> Can you get a copy of one of the popular math books on infinite? Here
> is the list of ones I know about and they are all good reads:
>
> The Kingdom of Infinite Number: A Field Guide by Bryan H. Bunch
> (Hardcover - January 2000)
>
> The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Search
> for Infinity by Amir D. Aczel (Paperback - September 2001)
>
> To Infinity and Beyond by Eli Maor (Paperback)
>
> In Search of Infinity by N. Ya. Vilenkin, et al (Hardcover - August
> 1995)
>
> We had a thread a few years ago about the difference between a
> summation over a set versus series of additions that dealt with the
> same underlying concept.

Yes, I recall. You argued that a sum over zero elements is undefined, and I argued that it is defined as zero. You cited a book to defend your position and that book said in black and white that it is defined as zero.

Joe, I realise you have a following of sorts. You were an idiot then, and I have seen nothing to indicate you have changed. You either had never read the reference you cited then, or you lacked the intellectual capacity to understand what was written in black and white.

I won't waste a second of effort on your nonsense. Received on Fri Feb 21 2003 - 19:50:21 CST