Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relational

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2003 14:56:29 -0800

>> If you cannot identify the cans of tuna, how do you place them on
the scale? And before you can calculate a count from a weight, you must first count identifiable cans then weigh them. <<

You place the on the scale in a bag (pun intended), without ever looking at the individual cans <g>.

Can you get a copy of one of the popular math books on infinite? Here is the list of ones I know about and they are all good reads:

The Kingdom of Infinite Number: A Field Guide by Bryan H. Bunch (Hardcover - January 2000)

The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Search for Infinity by Amir D. Aczel (Paperback - September 2001)

To Infinity and Beyond by Eli Maor (Paperback)

In Search of Infinity by N. Ya. Vilenkin, et al (Hardcover - August 1995)

We had a thread a few years ago about the difference between a summation over a set versus series of additions that dealt with the same underlying concept. A set oriented process does not look at the indivdual elements; it works with the set **as a completed whole**. You sound like Kroncker versus Cantor all over! Received on Fri Feb 21 2003 - 16:56:29 CST