Re: NextNumbers Tables

From: Alan Gutierrez <ajglist_at_izzy.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:48:33 GMT

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> saul_margolis_at_hotmail.com (Saul Margolis) wrote in
>
>>This is exactly the way I try to do things, having a surrogate key
>>and natural key with a unique index.
>>Ever tried tracing a transaction manually (as one is sometimes
>>forced to do) when you only have a natural key consisting of 10
>>fields?

> Exactly! This is why when people jump up and down about how surrogate
> keys shouldn't be used, I shake my head and realize that these folks
> have never worked on a large production environment.

Would someone with experience using natural keys in a large production environment please chime in. I'd like to hear how using natural keys as primary keys in a large production environment makes things faster, easier, and better.

Or just a pointer to a strong argument.

Alan Gutierrez - ajglist_at_izzy.net Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 20:48:33 CST