Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relationalalgebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relationalalgebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Steve Kass <skass_at_drew.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:21:30 -0500

Mikito,

  It's pointless to talk about the limit of a set S without setting forth some context. If you are talking about sets, the limit of {0,x} as the real number x goes to zero is {0}. Why is the change of cardinality "nasty"? There is no mathematical reason to think that the cardinality function must be continuous.

  You could, if you chose, define the limit of a multiset, and you would have a different discussion. If you defined things in the most natural way, the limit of {0,x} as x goes to zero would be {0,0}. Discussing continutity is pointless without context. If f is a function from the collection of multisets
of reals to the collection of multisets of reals, then you need a topology on multisets of reals to be able to discuss continuity (relative to that topology). Without thinking it all through, I suspect a good topology is the
smallest one containing all open intervals (a,b) (these being sub_sets_ of reals.

  To make the limit {0} make sense for multisets, you'd need every open set around {0} to contain {e, e} for some e <> 0, and probably for it to contain {e,e,e,e,...} as well. Maybe it has nice properties, too. But the {0}
limit is exactly the correct one for sets, of course, under the usual topology
on the real numbers. Change of cardinality on projection is nothing at all difficult. Project a line onto a plane in the direction of the line, and you've
gone from an uncountable set to a finite one. Not changing cardinality is more trouble.

  Be careful not to make claims about good and bad properties of operations on multisets (or sets) without specifying the context in which you are making
these statements.

Steve Kass
Drew University