Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relational algebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:47:40 -0800

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:e4330f45.0302130552.5f51736a_at_posting.google.com...
> I only want to add that duplicates also ruin updateable views.
>
> http://www.pgro.uk7.net/views3_0110.htm

Why? View updates is about ability to solve equations with relational operators. While one can certainly claim that Set Algebra is superior to Bag Algebra, you have to demonstrate what exact technical difficulties are solving equations in the Bag Algebra. Hand waving doesn't count. Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 14:47:40 CST