From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:34:19 -0000

"Jan Hidders" <> wrote in message [snip]
> >and better optimisations would be obtained without duplicates"
> No. In fact, in theory, all optimizations that can be done in a set-based
> algebra can also be done in a bag-based algebra but not the other way
> around.

Obviously, I guess. A bag algebra being a superset of a set alegbra.

However it does not follow that a dbms where users were exposed to a bag-based algebra would be overall more efficient than one with users 'restricted' to a set-based alegbra. Not by a long shot.

Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 18:34:19 CET

Original text of this message