Re: Materials for an Advanced Database course

From: akmal _at_ city <_at_>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:53:14 +0000

On 3 Feb 2003, Stephane Desnault wrote:

> 71062.1056_at_compuserve.com (--CELKO--) wrote in message news:<c0d87ec0.0301171523.1c396727_at_posting.google.com>...
> > What would you want to see covered in a one semester Materials in an
> > Advanced Database course taught at the graduate (or undergraduate)
> > level?
> >
> > What materials (books, software, etc.) would you recommend for such a
> > course?
>
> Joe,
>
> I think today any advanced course would need to relate databases and
> XML, both from a thoeretical and a practical standpoint. I'd expect to
> learn:
>
> . How XML and relational constructs relate (no pun intended)
> . Data in XML is ORDERED - that's a deep difference
> . Translating XML to relational
> . Translating Relational to XML
> . Equating XML and Relational Schemas
> . Advantages of both constructs to store information
> . Some examples of real world implementation (XML extensions)
>
> I'm currently working on several document/workflow management projects
> and the theoretical challenges and opportunities of mixing relational
> concepts with XML have been VERY interesting.

I asked a question about XML DB courses on a mailing list a while back and someone kindly pointed me to:

CSE 590ds: Management of XML and Semistructured Data - http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse590ds/01sp/

I think this seems to be one of the few (comprehensive) courses taught on the topic right now.

HTH

--
Akmal B. Chaudhri
WebDatabases ------- http://www.btinternet.com/~webdatabases/