[OT] Re: database design question

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 31 Dec 2002 01:31:17 +1100

Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null> writes:

> "danjourno" <danjourno_at_hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > ahh.. yes sorry,
> > I probably should have said, i am using mysql.
>
> No worries... I'd use something better than mysql ... either Oracle or
> Sybase puts out bits on Linux.

I agree MySQL is pretty limited - its ok for very basic stuff, but lacks a lot of the more useful aspects of a full RDMS. Oracle is good, but expensive and I don't know about Sybase.

However, I was wondering what is the state of Postgres now? Its been a long time since I had a look at it and it use to be a bit slow, but from what I've been told, it has a lot of the features you normally only find in a commercial (and usually expensive) db. It would be good if there was a full featured open source relational database available which would allow those interested to experiment with and become familiar with features such as triggers, stored procedures, full constraint types, etc. I know oracle is free if you only use it for development purposes, but thats not quite the same as an open source solution.

I guess this is a bit off topic for this NG, but possibly not if you put it in the context of a good db for learning/testing/expanding issues relating to db theory - sort of ... its a stretch I know. Apologies in advance to any who are offended.

--
Tim Cross