Re: database design question

From: danjourno <danjourno_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:38:33 +1100

ahh.. yes sorry,
I probably should have said, i am using mysql. the current stable release doesn't support much at all with multiple charactersets.
but the new version, soon to be the stable release will allow a different characterset for each collumn within a table.

I guess my question is,..
1) Is it bad practice and inefficient to have a large number of collumns 2) Is it bad practice to add/delete columns once your database has initially prepared.

    ie; each collumn within my table will be for a different language, and I will be adding and possibly deleting languages as part of my application. Therefore adding and deleting columns. 3) also, is this a good design for the type of queries i will be doing. ie; I will only be retrieving one of these columns per query, yet there may be 20 other columns in the row that are each of 200+ chars in size that won't get used.. will these other columns slow down my query?

thanks
dan