Check List Comparisons

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:17:56 GMT

Dr. Dweeb,

Your objections to check list comparisons in general, and to my check list comparison in particular is a point noted.

And you are right, in particular about the selectivity I used in making my check list: the points I used are those that came to my attention, and not necessarily those that should be included on any such list due to the importance of the point itself. Codd's 12 rules could be subjected to the same criticism, but his particular choice for what goes into the list was a great deal more systemic than my basis for choice.

But I don't think your objection is sufficient to conclude that such comparisons should not be made, nor that, having been made, they should be kept secret. I think people who look at such lists need to make themselves aware of the limitations inherent in the list itself. Caveat Lector.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey