Re: Number of Databases

From: oblomov <spam_at_oblomov.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:32:27 +0100

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:27:54 -0000
"Matt" <yoggyfan_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am making a website and using a mySQL database. The website will be
> a directory of places to Eat, Drink and Stay in my city. Would it be
> best to have a seperate database for each of these? The book I am
> reading is telling me about normalization and one-to-many
> relationships. I now have about 8 tables for my "places to eat"
> directory... phone, email, address, notes... etc... for any
> information that there may be more then one of.

When normalizing an RDB you trade speed for a beutiful database. Try not to get too religious unless you have really good reasons.

Splitting up data in multiple tables means that you have to join or send multiple requests to the database in order to get the data. If I was you, I would probably consider if each restaurant needs an unlimited number of phonenumbers, etc.

About using multiple databases- that sounds like a bad idea to me.

karl Received on Sat Dec 14 2002 - 19:32:27 CET

Original text of this message