Re: QUESTION: List array, graph or network model support DB

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 05:05:06 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> > And Oracle DBMS - formerly DEC DBMS -a network model database which runs
> > on OpenVMS also is used commercially. In fact it is the database that
> > Intel uses to run the assembly lines for making all of it's
> > semiconductor products.
>
> And both Oracle DBMS and Oracle Rdb - formerly DEC Rdb - used a record
> storage system called
> KODA to provide the low level physical functionality that the upper levels
> depend on to make the product work.
> It was the clean layering of functionality inside DEC DBMS that made it
> possible to start with those lower levels and
> build a relational DBMS.
>
> DEC Rdb isn't just a network DBMS with an SQL interface. DEC Rdb was (and
> is) a really good relational DBMS, even if it doesn't measure up to the
> ideal standard required by some people in here before they will use the
> "Relational" for it.
>
> But you knew all that, Mike. This is for everybody else.

if you mean by "ideal" that it runs on Unix and crashes all the time and needs a bazillion DBA's to keep them running and you want to constantly recover your database and your data files, then you can have ideal. Give me Rdb where you need < 1/2 the DBA's, it doesn't crash all the time and you almost never restore from backup -- and if you do you can restore a single page (define as <n>-512byte disk blocks) instead of an entire file or tablespace -- and it runs on the best OS and hardware architecture in the world - OpenVMS on Alpha. Still runs circles around Oracle RDBMS on any platform.

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            OpenVMS User since June 1984
First DBA Source, Inc.    Registered Linux User #261163
Sr. Consultant            http://www.firstdbasource.com