Re: HUGE OT question: Re: Other tree representations in SQL

From: Finarfin <finarfin_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:50:30 -0500

--CELKO-- wrote:

>>> In my attempts to develop a relatively simple database I have

> followed the following path:
>
> 1: Attempt the develop a spreadsheet-like DB in MS Access.
> 2: Realize that Access is not a spreadsheet.
> 3: Find out that: There is such a beast as DB theory.
> 4: Read a book allegedly about database theory.
> 5: Find out about something called normalisation.
> 6: Buy a book or two by Date et. al.
> 7: Buy and learn K & R.
> 8: FINALLY learn that I know NOTHING about fundamentals and buy
> Knuth:
> 9: Where I am now, Chapter 1, trying to relearn induction. <<
>
> I was expecting to see "join a dot-com start up." followed by
> "declare personal bankruptcy." in this list :)

Ahh Yes! I skipped that step. From what I have seen, it is step 1 for a good many people.

> But don't buy Knuth! Send me your snail-mail address and I will
> mail

A most generous offer. Fortunately, my employer has paid for my copy. My job is an engineer in a mineral production facility and database development is not part of my core responsibilities. In working backwards to determine where to start, I arrived at Knuth and was able to justify the purchase.

I prefer to do things right once rather than wrong a hundred times. In the long run it is always faster, though this simple database will have to wait about 14 more months before I'm qualified to start development.

JE Received on Fri Dec 06 2002 - 01:50:30 CET

Original text of this message