Re: HUGE OT question: Re: Other tree representations in SQL

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2002 11:39:30 -0800

>> In my attempts to develop a relatively simple database I have
followed the following path:

  1. Attempt the develop a spreadsheet-like DB in MS Access.
  2. Realize that Access is not a spreadsheet.
  3. Find out that: There is such a beast as DB theory.
  4. Read a book allegedly about database theory.
  5. Find out about something called normalisation.
  6. Buy a book or two by Date et. al.
  7. Buy and learn K & R.
  8. FINALLY learn that I know NOTHING about fundamentals and buy Knuth:
  9. Where I am now, Chapter 1, trying to relearn induction. <<

I was expecting to see "join a dot-com start up." followed by "declare personal bankruptcy." in this list :)

>> So, Were you to give a beginner a bit of a hint, would you suggest
that: If they were considering real DB development they should start with Knuth? <<

Every programmer should have a copy of Knuth. It is a bit hard to read if you don't have a math background, but it has everything you will need. I cannot think of a good book for writing a database from scratch. There are white papers and internal documents for particular products, but nothing like the books for compiler writers.

But don't buy Knuth! Send me your snail-mail address and I will mail you all three volumes (first edition) for free. I have an extra set sitting in a box ready to mail back in my house in Austin. My niece is renting my old house from me (I just moved to Salt Lake City last week), so I can simply send her a mailing label and tell her to stick it on the box and go to the post office. Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 20:39:30 CET

Original text of this message