Re: How to create a DBMS from scratch?

From: Eric Junkermann <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk>
Date: 5 Dec 2002 05:38:34 -0800

emmettwa_at_yahoo.com (Emmett) wrote in message news:<92d3639d.0212041707.f1b767_at_posting.google.com>...

> It was a total disaster precisely because so much of what was
> done in Pick couldn't be done at all using a relational DB.

... by the people who were doing it! They had to design and test the new application and design and test the data conversion - someone got some or all of it wrong. There are enough failed software developments in the world that you can probably find one to apparently back up any x vs y argument.

I'm afraid that if you want this one to carry any weight you'll have to dig up a genuine statement of something that was done in Pick that can't be done in a relational DBMS (or maybe just couldn't be done in Oracle at the time, since that is _not_ the same thing).

Eric Junkermann
-- beware of hammer syndrome! Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 14:38:34 CET

Original text of this message