Re: which softeware can create database?

From: Greg Boland <gregb_at_snet.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:25:37 GMT

The first pass should be just transforming your ER diagram to tables. And that's pretty straight forward as Torey explained. The most important concept is that many to many relationships resolve to a table that has no "real world" meaning, but "glues" other tables together. So you end up with a table that describes relationships among other entities. And that's okay.

Subtypes, Supertypes? Well, that's harder, and resolves in many wierd ways.

It's hard to resist de-normalizing tables. And for the most part I don't. Usually (and I'll get slammed) the ER to Table transformation works just fine. Look At ORM and his (can't remember his name) method of moving from a conceptual model to a phsyical dbms. It's a really nice approach. Oh yes, the name is Terry Halperin. Well, that's pretty close.

"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be> wrote in message news:3dd1292a$1_at_news.uia.ac.be...
> In article <a8_z9.295$CR4.163121292_at_radon.golden.net>,
> Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:
> >"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be> wrote in message

> >> I work in that community and probably know it better than you do.
> >
> >Perhaps. I believe you also work in academia. Perhaps your subjective
> >involvement with both prevents you from seeing either objectively.

> That lots of publications in the right places gives you political clout in
> the scientific community is an objective fact. You don't have to believe
me,
> you can check this for yourself. But if this is what you want to believe,
be
> my guest.

> >Did I succeed at my goal of demonstrating that those who read peer
reviewed
> >database management journals have Date's work placed in front of them
from
> >time to time?
>

> You have failed to notice that this was not the issue. I have already in
> this very thread explicitly told you that this was the case.
>

> >Or have cause to know who Date is? If they choose to ignore
> >something because it was not peer reviewed, they do so willfully, and
> >willful ignorance is no excuse.
>

> They have invited the man as key-note speaker to VLDB, one of the biggest
> and prestigious conferences on databases. Does that sound like ignoring to
> you? I have already told you that they know his work very well. Most
> researchers I know, like me, use his books to teach from. Most researchers
> know have read his Manifesto. I'm affraid it is you who has chosen to
ignore
> certain facts.
>

> -- Jan Hidders

> Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 00:25:37 CET

Original text of this message