Re: Creating MY own database with C++ and of course WinAPI

From: Alex Petrov <master.db_at_mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:05:49 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

> I know it would require WinAPI to create Windows..and I'm learning
> it..and I know some major things about C++. However I don't want to
> use Access or MySQL or any of that stuff..I just want to use a txt
> file or several txtfiles, maybe database.dat or something.

Not a good idea, i mean this sort of "escapism". Note that storing and managing tables in textual files <<is not so easy to implement by yourself.>>. Thus you may try to use free available (Gnu) C/C++ libraries that provide such storage functionality for textual files. About Dbms... MySQL is not required at all because you should have this rare and stupid simple Dbms (it doesnt support many data integrity things).
But MS Access is a good choice. It's almost native Db format under Windows. Many programs use MS Access databases (without Access itself) to strore their data records. Have a look at CD Player that comes with Win2000 or XP.
Some benefits of using it:

  • You keep and manage all your program data in a single Db file.
  • MS Access provides all general features for data integrity (datatypes, PK,FK constraints,cascade deletes/updates) and query speed up (indexes).
  • MS Access databases allow you store image data (pictures).
  • MS Access is simple and easy to learn.
  • MS Access, its ODBC driver, and JetSQL documentation comes with MSOffice. (therefore no separate development tools are needed.)

By itself Access Dbms is only required for development stage (e.g to create tables). To work with your database, all you need is ODBC driver for Access.

Good luck

Alex P.
System analyst