Re: How to create a DBMS from scratch?

From: Andy Dingley <dingbat_at_codesmiths.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:25:01 +0000

On 28 Nov 2002 03:01:15 GMT, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote:

>The fact that certain varieties of hierarchical queries are not
>particularly convenient in SQL is a bit of condemnation thereof.

Indeed. I don't think this will happen (legacies being what they are) but I can see a potential future where commerical DB's split into OLAP (this being what most business clock cycles are now spent on) and graph-based triple stores.

I'm resistant to object stores and OODBMS in general - this tree structuring is both restrictive, and pervasive through most of them. Oracle 9i is a case in point - my current project is a flexible rich media / metadata store, and the Oracle implementation that has been suggested is horribly limiting - it's still stuck with this "XSLT transforms can fix everything" mentality. Received on Fri Nov 29 2002 - 15:25:01 CET

Original text of this message