Re: Is there a better way than pen and paper?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:30:31 GMT

> I, too, do most of my initial design work on paper or whiteboard. When it
> comes to using a tool to create neat, simple diagrams I use either Visio,
> Excel, or even Word for my basic, read by anybody diagrams.

Here's what I did one time. I built the schema in Oracle, using my design.

Then I linked to all the tables from MS Access. Then I cranked up the "Relationship Diagram" tool inside Access. (I may have the wrong name for this tool). After a little cleaning up, the resulting diagram was perfect for talking about the database.

Since MS Access was already available, this was quick, cheap, and easy. Of course, I had to build it before I could diagram it, but it worked in that situation. Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 21:30:31 CET

Original text of this message